Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Announcing the new Design Team members!

Here's a post MANY of you have been waiting for.
We're revealing our new additions you our team, starting in January 2015.



First of all I'd like to say another "thank you" to everyone who applied 
(I believe we sent an answer to every applicant - If you applied but did not get an answer it might be in your spam folder?!). 

We had so many fabulous applicants that we really had a hard time making a decision. More than 50 amazingly talented designers from all around the word applied to join our team - including scrapbookers, cardmakers, mixed-mdia artist,...
This is such an honor and we're happy about the great response we get from all of you!

If you did not get a spot this time this does not mean we didn't like your projects. We just had a bunch of designer on our "we need her in our team" - list. Unfortunately there were only two spots to fill this time. Please try again next time!


It's time to introduce our two new designers to you. The one's who caught our eyes with great design, outstanding photography, clean blogs, professional work, kind applications and more.

Please give a very warm welcome to:




and




These two gils are gonna rock the house! Wooohooo - and we're so happy they'll be joining our team and bringing tons of inspiration your way.

Read on if you want to get to know them a bit! :)


Marina Johan

Some if you might remember that Marina was one of our Guest Designers This year. She created fabulous cards with Penguin Party and has always been supporting our little, but growing, company. I've been loving her designs for quite a while, so I am super happy she's part of our Create A Smile family now :)

Up for the DT interview:

Name, Age, Location: 
Marina Johan, 27, Singapore

Hi Marina, nice to meet you! Take a seat, get comfy. May I offer you something? Coffee or cookies?
Oh yes please, I'll take... both! Hehe, I'm both black coffee & cookies addict.  

Okay, you know why you’re here: People want to know everything about you. Let’s start with something simple: 
You’re a paper crafter. When did you start and how did it happen? 

Let's see, I started back in 2009. I came across a local craft store and I started to make scrapbook pages! I stopped due to work and studies. I started crafting again in 2012 but more into card making because I was sending cards to friends and started with mixed media because saw many tutorials and I was very fascinated.

What kind of projects are your favorite? And why? 
I love cardmaking and mixed media projects. I'm into stamping with clean and simple designs. Just because I love playing with stamps way too much. I take up mixed media projects because I love to get messy with colours!

Is there one technique that you use more often than others? 
Hmmm.... I'm not sure if you call this a technique but I love to find more ways to stretch my products, like stamps :) 

If you look at other people’s projects: What amazes you and what makes you frown? 

I am always amazed at card makers who can stretch their stamps in the most unique way because I'm trying to do this as much as I can. Craft projects rarely makes me frown, but probably except for colour combination that I, personally, don't like.

You’ve been paper crafting for quite a while. Is there a lesson you learned that you’d like to share with our readers? 
As a crafter, we are always tempted to get everything new but not all of us, including me, cant afford every single thing. The lesson I learn is to always share tips with others on DIY and stretch various products. One more lesson I learn is, to remember to have fun with our projects and not get too stressed over it.

Let’s get to something personal. You live in Singapore what’s your favorite spot there and why do you think people should visit this place? 
My favourite spot here is a rooftop bar on top of the tallest building in 280m approx), I love looking at the view from up there, especially at night. People should visit this place because you get to hang out with me! hehe, also, we have lots of awesome architectures  here and various cultures in one place. It's also a great place to start if you're visiting asia as you can get really cheap flights to travel and explore the rest of asia.

What is a characteristic that describes you the best? 
Silly & clumsy. I'd like to think that I'm friendly and open to making new friends.

What else should people know about you? Any secret addictions? Obsessions? Fun stuff? 

Hmm, well.. I'm getting married on the 27th Dec! Hehe :) I love to go for parties at night with my friends, this is when I take a break from crafting. My guilty pleasure is America's Next Top Model haha.

Thanks for the interview Marina!
You're most welcome. I am very grateful to be here! I can't wait to share my Create A Smile stamps project to the world :)


Here are some of Marina's cards that I totally fell in love with:

Marina made this card as our Guest designer and I think this is so cute and different!

Falling coffee mugs? Honestly, who could resist. And although I'm not a fan of purple or pink I just loooove her coloring on this card!

See that soft background? This is so cool! The soft color combo really makes this card. No black at all - wow!


Yoonsun Hur

I have to admit that I had not come across her blog when I read her application - and I have no idea how in the world I could miss that. When I scrolled through her blog I was completely stunned - she had jaw-dropping design skills and a very professional blog. I then realized that I had already "liked! some of her cards in pinterest and I knew she had to be on the team. I just fell deeply in love.

Let's see what she has to tell you:

Name: Yoonsun Hur
Age: Born in 1974
Location: Sydney, Australia



Hi Yoonsun, nice to meet you! Take a seat, get comfy. 

Okay, you know why you’re here: People want to know everything about you. Let’s start with something simple:
You’re a paper crafter. When did you start and how did it happen?
I first stepped into the world of paper craft two years ago. In December 2012, I wanted to make a one-and-only Christmas card for a very special client (I currently work as a graphic designer). I began searching the internet for ideas. It was then when my eyes opened to the world of handmade cards, and I instantly fell in love with its beauty.

What kind of projects are your favorite? And why?
At present, card-making would be one of my favourite projects. We as card makers, deliver our own message into one card. It is very challenging but, quite fascinating at the same time. Card-making is obviously a charming project unlike Scrapbooking or Project Life. However, I have a wish to attempt and experience all different forms of paper craft in the near future.

Is there one technique that you use more often than others?
I particularly enjoy using water based inks and any watercolour medium when making my cards. Using watercolours, there are no right answers -how to use it, or where to use it. It can be used in numerous ways each resulting in a different emotion and message. I hope to create my own, unique CAS card through ‘Create A Smile’.

If you look at other people’s projects: What amazes you and what makes you frown?
One of the styles that amaze me the most would be One-layer CAS cards. The way in which these cards depict multiple, complicated steps in one frame is what continues challenge me and grab my interest. What makes me frown? I believe that the distinctive qualities of each design is makes it attractive. So I don’t I’ve seen a project that has disappointed me, yet.

You’ve been paper crafting for quite a while. Is there a lesson you learned that you’d like to share with our readers?
The most important lesson I’ve learnt would be that I cannot lie to the ingredients I’ve used to make cards. The amount of care, and affection I put into them when making the card is reflected in its quality. My experience has taught me that cards made under pressure and stress, result in a lower quality even though they may be the exact same design.

Let’s get to something personal. You live in Australia - what’s your favorite spot there and why do you think people should visit this place?
Definitely and absolutely, the Sydney Opera House. It has a very, special attractiveness that cannot be described by words. Please come and see :D

What is a characteristic that describes you the best?
To borrow the words of my family and friends, many say that I am a person who can keep secret. The honest reason behind that would be the fact that I forget what they tell me almost instantaneously lol! But I see myself as a perfectionist. While I am gentle and generous to others, I tend to be very harsh and critical towards myself.

What else should people know about you? Any secret addictions? Obsessions? Fun stuff?
I love everyone, everything around me but, I am only addicted to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit!

Thanks for that interview, it's a pleasure to get to know you - and we hope to find out more about you on this team! :)

Here are some of Yoonsun's cards that turned my eyes in to hearts:


Excuse me? Seriously? Wow! Look at that depth Yoonsun created with Peerless watercolors! Just swoonworthy!




 I'm a sucker for rainbows. And this CAS card still has so many details - I could look at it for hours!




This little shaker ornament is just too cute. You can tell that Yoonsun MUST be perfectionist, right?


Welcome to the team, girl. I feel honored your joining our team and hope you'll have a BLAST using our stamps and chatting with the teamies. I know 2015 will be a fantastic year for Create A Smile and it's even more exciting with you!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to get to know these girls. It's worth every minute!

Have a great day

13 comments:

  1. Congrats to the new DT members..stunning cards and look very much forward seeing more...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome new girls! Can't wait to see more from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to both - amazing card designs! Look forward to seeing more inspiration from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to both of you!! Awesome picks Christine!! I can't wait to see what they come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big "CONGRATS!" to Marina and Yoonsun. :-)
    I think you will have lots of fun in the Design Team. I'm curious about the crafty projects you'll show us here.
    I'm off to check two blogs extensively...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Christine, you're so awesome! I can't wait to get started. Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay ladies! awesome inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome ladies, I can see why you made the team as your cards are glorious! Have fun, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to Marina and Yoonsun! Can't wait to see your creations :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATS to the new teamies! Can't wait to see what you create!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to you both! Looking forward to seeing your new creations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to the two new team members. Brilliant choice. Cant wait to see your creations.

    ReplyDelete