Hello friends and welcome back! It's Laurie with you today to share a clean and simple card using some simple masking!
I went through all my CAS stamp sets and as soon as I saw that cute jam jar from the Summer in a Jar set, I knew I wanted to turn it into a vase or a pot for some flowers. I also wanted to do some masking to make one complete image instead of fussy cutting each image. For the flowers, I chose the gorgeous Cosmeas set.
Yes, masking does take a little time and a little bit of thought to create the scene you want. But in the end, it is so worth it! I don't go for very elaborate scenes. I try to keep it simple! Here are the steps I followed to create this jar with flowers:
1. Stamp jam jar and create mask.
2. Apply jar mask and place the flower stamp you want towards to the FRONT of your scene. In this case, it was the purple flower!
3. Stamp flower and create mask.
4. Apply mask over first flower and place stamp for the next image. You can see that the pink flower looks like it is sitting behind the purple flower...that's all thanks to the mask on the purple flower!!
5. Make mask for pink flower. When we stamp the greenery, all of our stamped images will be covered by masks and will make the leaves look like they are in the background!
6. Stamp the leaves.
7. Remove all the masks and voila, you're scene is created!
I used alcohol markers and coloured pencils to colour the image. I fussy cut the entire image out including the inner bits!
Once the image was cut out, I did a little ink blending with a light blue ink and a blending brush onto the front of a white card base. I used one of the DIN Lang Border Dies to create a scalloped "shelf" for my flowers to sit on. To take it to the next level, I added a piece of crochet ribbon. When was the last time you used ribbon on your cards?! I rarely do anymore but I absolutely LOVE the look!
Before adhering everything to the card base, I realized I needed to stamp some sort of a greeting. I found the "hello" from the Mesmerizing Mandalas Stamps Set fit perfectly!!
I adhered the "shelf" with liquid glue. Because the ribbon was a bit thick, I needed to add a bit of foam tape to the flowers and everything sat level.
To finish off, I used a white gel pen to add a couple of details to the leaves and flowers and also added a few clear sequins.
If you're new to masking, my advice is to start out with simple scenes, like this one. The more you do it, the more complicated scenes you'll be able to do. I don't mask much so I ALWAY keep it simple! This project only used 3 masks! Another tip is to not use itty bitty images. I find I get so frustrated cutting out tiny images only for them to get lost or slide around.
Create a Smile Stamps has a wonderful community on Facebook! If you haven't checked out the group, you totally should! And if you need more inspiration, check out the biweekly challenge here on the blog!!
Thank you so much for stopping by today!! See you again very soon!!