Sunday, January 11, 2015

Shimmery Watercolour Stripes

Hi everyone! It me, Marina! Hope your new year has been treating you well. If not, I hope this card would cheer you up.





I know how much everyone loves the effect of Wink of Stella but unfortunately for me, I find it too expensive to purchase it too often. I would like to show you a cheaper alternative to Wink of Stella where you can add to your watercolours or images. 


Let me introduce you to my good friend (lol) Winsor & Newton Watercolour Iridescent Medium. It has the same properties as wink of stella except that it's in a much bigger bottle. When I bought it, it cost me as much as one pen of wink of stella. 


Pick your watercolour of choice. I used Peacock Feathers distress ink for this card. I added water to the ink and add the medium. Actually, you don't even need to use water, you can add the medium right away. Depending on how shimmery you want it to be, add as much or as little as you please :) 


I used some washi tape to make sure I leave some stripes clean and white. I add a layer of watercolour and dry it first before adding more layers. This way, you can add more depth to your watercolour look. 


Can you see how shimmery that is? :D 

After that, I simply die cut a circle to make a shaker card with some Pretty Pink Posh sequins. I wanted to make this card more cheerful for my recipient. 




With this card, I did not use a watercolour paper but just regular Neenah paper and it still works because I keep drying my watercolour layers in between. If it warps too much, put it under heavy books after it dries and it will be very flat overnight. 


Don't forget that you can always make a brand new sentiment by combining phrases from various stamp sets :) 

Thanks for stopping by! 

Much love,

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips. I was just thinking I was going to have to splash out on a new wink and here you are with a great alternative. I and my credit card salute you. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tip..I will sure try and find it...I already used two Wink of Stella brushes..maybe I can refill them with this medium?
    I love your card..super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marina, your card is cute as can be. Thanks for the tip with Winsor & Newton Watercolor Iridescent Medium. I didn't know it before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marina, your card is so cute!! Thanks for the great tip. I must try it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Marina that card rocks and thank you so much for that great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this card is sooooo cute! I like the blue stripes!!!

    ReplyDelete