Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Friends in The Woods: Brown and Green?!

Hello Crafters! 

It's Kelly here for my first official post as a Create A Smile DT 
**Squeeee**

Did you have a chance to hop along this weekend for our first release? I sure hope so there was some serious inspiration being offered :) 

If you don't know me, it's nice to meet you, and you probably don't know my style. That's okay, I'm going to tell you :) I love to look at stamps and see different ways to use them. I'm super crazy about my stuff matching and when I share it's almost always three cards. Super simple, middle of the road, and kinda busy. Busy is open for interpretation because my busy is still pretty CAS. ha! I'm a fussy cutter and I love stickles. Now that we've got the basics down let's get to the goods. 

When I sat down to create I could not stop thinking about a card I saw by 
Tanja Kewel-Neef.  during the hop this weekend.  It was such an adorable card, truly beautiful design and it was brown and green. BROWN AND GREEN people! I could not think of two colors I dislike more together. But here I am staring at her stunning creation thinking "How on God's green earth did she make that look so good?" I decided maybe I had been too judgmental of this color combo and decided to give it a go. 
First up: Kinda Busy

I stamped and trimmed that sweet owl out and colored him with distress inks. Actually everything is colored with distress inks. I used Hero Arts Tweed stencil on the 4 and their star stencil for the background. I have a niece turning four soon and I thought that sentiment was perfect. 

Second: Middle of the Road


I used the hammock from the comfy set to create my hills then colored with more distress in. The branch is easy to turn into a tree by adding a few more leaves and Mr. Squirrel is perfect just the way he is :) 

Last: Super Simple


I used the mirror technique to get my two hedgehogs to fall in love. I had some hills left over and I thought they would make a cute little scallop edge. I added some interest with a white gel pen and stickles. The heart was hand drawn. 

What did I learn? I CAN like brown and green together. I like it better tempered with another color, like the pink. I also have to use the brown sparingly. In the Gallon/Quart/Pint rule brown will always be my pint :) 
Big thanks to Tanja for being so awesome at crafting she made me think I could do it too! 

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you found something to inspire you :) 

XoXo

Kelly 


6 comments:

  1. I think your cards are so sweet. The hills look real and the design on the last one has me swooning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all three and always enjoy seeing any of your cards! Your style is just perfect and your coloring is always awesome. Congrats on your new DT role too! That's wonderful, they have a great gal and I'm very happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your take on brown and green, and I had to laugh because I have a peculiar dislike of the color orange, so even though it is a differnt color, I understand. That being said, I think it is wonderful when someone is able to show us that maybe we are wrong, and that a color or a combo can be done well! Very brave of you to attempt it yourself, and you did it proud! Loved all three cards, and I must say I enjoy how you use each stamp in a unique way. I want to learn from you because my mind doesn't work that way, and I think it is great that you can not only get so much more use out of your stamps, but that you can see things in a whole other way. Says a lot about your talent and creativity. Thanks for sharing with us, I am learning from you already. Now about the beach, can I just say how jealous I am! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you cards are amazing and I love the way you write about them. You make me smile and give much inspiration. Love how you use the stamps in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute woodland friends...love the clean designs.

    ReplyDelete