Saturday, October 12, 2019

winter wishes * adding texture to your images

Hi there, Nicole here.

I have this cute little card for you sharing how I added some texture to my stamped images.




I'm not going to talk you through the whole card making process because I want to focus on the texture I've added. I simply stamped my images with a light brown dye ink and colored them in the no-line coloring style using alcohol markers, just like I am used to. I could have stopped there but I wanted to add a fun twist.

To add some texture to the sweater and the wood, I used colored pencils. I made sure their tips were really sharp. For the sweater I added tiny V shaped lines to create the knitted pattern. I tried to stay light at the top and got darker where my shading (from coloring with the alcohol markers) was. 
For the wood, I drew some wonky lines and loops. You can take a closer look on the photo below. It's really quite simple to do. But if you feel insecure to draw on your colored images, I recommend you first practice on a scrap piece of paper or start by drawing the lines super light and get darker as you go. And another cool thing is, you can carefully erase colored pencils on top of the alcohol markers with a regular eraser if you make a mistake. I used Swisscolor by Caran d'Ache colored pencils but you just try this technique with the colors you have, it might work perfectly fine.

To finish up my card, I added some snowflakes with a stencil and Distress Inks and stamped my greeting in black. I also added a bit of white gel pen to the string of lights.



Use colored pencils to add shadows or texture to your images.






Thanks a lot for stopping by!
Have a happy day,
Nicole

2 comments:

  1. This is really a wonderful idea! The birdhouse looks so "real" with the woodgrains on it, and the sweater, too. Thanks for sharing this card, I will give a try very soon, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colouring here is perfection! Thanks for explauning how you achieved the detail in your shading. That's something I've been working on a lot and it's helpful to learn about various techniques. :)

    ReplyDelete