Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Quick and Colourful Card!

Hello friends and welcome back! It's Laurie with you today to share a super simple, quick and fun card with you today! I've been on a bit of a diecutting kick lately so there is no stamping on todays card!



I've really been enjoying playing with my Distress Inks lately. Lots of layering of bright, cheery colours to create fun backgrounds.  So this is where the card started:



This background was created using the "ink smooshing" technique. Simply press your ink pad onto a slick surface, spritz with some water and smoosh your cardstock into it! So easy! Make sure each layer is dry before proceeding to the next colour. 

I wanted to mute the background slightly so I decided to use a stencil and some white gesso.  I lined up the  Blossom Stencil to the right side of the panel and added a light layer of the gesso. 


You can see that this still lets the colour shine through while giving texture and pattern. Next I worked on the sentiment.  I decided to use the amazing new alphabet dies...Lemon Alphas Cool Cuts. I adore these dies. So cute and so versatile!


I kept it simple and used the word smile. I heat emboss a small scrap of cardstock with gold embossing powder and cute the letters out. The shadow part of the letters was cut out of plain, white cardstock and layered up 3 times for a little dimension.

To put the card together, I first started by trimming the colourful background to 5X3.5 inches and foam mounted it to a white A2 card base.  I added the "smile" die cuts towards the centre of the Blossom Stencil.


It was at this point I decided to add 2 circle die cuts from the Stitched Circle Dies. This seemed to ground the sentiment.  I then used the heart dies from the DIN Lang Postage Cool Cuts and cut them from the same gold embossed cardstock.



When using the ink smooshing technique it's always important to dry between each layer of colour! If you layer upon wet colour, you will end up with yucky colours!
Also, if you don't have gesso, white acrylic paint will work. Just make sure you use very little or you'll cover up too much of the background.


Don't be afraid to try new things! Play with colours! And incorporate some of your other crafty stash into your cardmaking!






Thank you so much for dropping by today!! Until next time :)

Laurie







 

No comments:

Post a Comment