Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Sea Scene

Hello Crafters!

It's Kelly here and I've been playing with our dies again! I can't stop!!


I've been really into sea and ocean sets lately and it's also been a bit since I played with building a scene so I started there. I felt like the largest banner die was a fun way to add my scene to a card .

I die cut my banner out of plain white card stock and stamped part of the Wild Waters background stamp in tumbled glass to get my horizon line. I stamped it a second time to create a mask. Save both pieces! My adorable little sail boat was stamped and masked as well. I masked the water and blended some distress ink onto my sky. I used Tumbled Glass and Salty Ocean. You can't have an ocean scene without some Salty Ocean!  

I removed my water mask and added the sky mask. Careful here . . .If your distress ink is still wet your mask may not stick as well as it usually does. I blended on more distress ink. I used Chipped Sapphire, Mermaid Lagoon, and Salty Ocean. Your darkest colors should be at your horizon line. I stamped the Wild Waters again in Salty Ocean and once more with just water. I wasn't working on watercolor paper so I didn't add a ton of water but a little will still lift or bleach the color from your background without warping the paper. Remove all the masks. 


I colored the boat with copics and then used a few more copics to add some various lines in my water. It just makes it more interesting. Now the fun part! I added some waves and clouds that I think came out super cool :) I did it by tapping on some white acrylic paint using a stiff bristle brush. It looks like real water splashes doesn't it?! So Fun!! 
I added a few splashes here and there for interest. 
Once I stamped my sentiment and added a bit of Wink of Stella to the sail and water for some shine. 
I mounted the stamped panel onto my card base with dimensional adhesive over red and navy banners. 

You don't just have to build a scene straight onto your card base or even on a square panel. Have fun, use shapes! With just a bit of masking it's easy to create a fun scene with real dimension. Last tip, just because it isn't a "card" supply doesn't mean you can't use it to enhance your design. Get out the paint, beads, string. Whatever. Make it yours :) 

Did you see we have a new SALE section? All kinds of goodies in there at discounted prices! Also there's only a couple days left to link up to our July projects in the side bar! 

Thanks for visiting!



Underwater Love 

Wild Waters


Stacked Pierced Banners 




6 comments:

  1. Wow Kelly that scene on the banner is amazing!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vibrant and it totally embodies summer fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card, stunning colours!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I love how you create the splashes and clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the tips, Kelly. I especially like the tip about using supplies not specifically geared for card makers. Your use of masking is fabulous. And your splashes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete