Tuesday, May 5, 2015

One Layer Birthday Celebration

Hello Crafters!

It's Kelly here and I'm bringing you a very simple CAS card today. 
Lately I've been trying to be better about sending birthday cards to my crafty friends. I have gobs and gobs of cards sitting in my house that I love but aren't really practical. I think making some birthday cards in advance has really helped me be better about sending them out.





 I simply adore the little tiny add on images included in stamps sets. If you've followed my card making you know I have a long love affair with these little guys. I have been eyeballing the sweet sequin stamp from 29 Again for quite some time. I wanted it to look like I just dropped a handful of sequins on the page.
I started by stamping my sentiment for placement purposes. Often times I get so excited about the design I'm thinking about I forget about the sentiment. Then last minute I'm like "Where can I cram this thing in at?" ha!
I stamped, masked, and colored my sequins. I have a bunch of holographic sequins which change colors depending on how the light hits them. I love them so much! I wanted to recreate the multi-color look so I chose light colored copics that would blend well together in the same shades that show up in my real life sequins.
Once the main coloring was done I added a shadow. I wanted to card to look like it had some dimension even though it is a one layer card. After outlining all of them in black I added some high lights with a white gel and coated each one in Wink of Stella. Sequins aren't sequins if they are shimmery!!

When you're making such a clean card every little boo boo shows. Take your time.
If you run into the "where should I put this sentiment?!" problem because you've just colored without any preplanning (I'm so guilty!) try putting it on vellum. It adds enough contrast to make your sentiment legible without covering up your fab design.
Making a one layer card but want dimension? Shadows are your friend. Try light ones at first until you get more confident with where they go.


If you haven't joined our Sending Sunshine Special Release Kit party on Facebook you're going to want to head over there. Christine has been doing giveaway and sneak peeks. You're going to love it!



4 comments:

  1. Kellyyyyy you make me want to buy this stsmp set brilliant idea..love it much ♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I would have completely missed that sequin stamp. You've done a spectacular job showcasing it and allowing it to shine front and center. Thanks for the tips you've added. Very smart and well worth remembering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Kelly! I love how you blended your colors and kept your design CAS, and the black sentiment banner grounds it perfectly! Thanks for all the deets and including your tips and tricks :)

    ReplyDelete