Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Wish Big

Hello Crafters!

It's Kelly and we are going to be creating a fun one layer card today.



I love one layer cards. Whether it's a scene or a  simple design one layer cards are the most fun to make for me. It does take a little forethought but that's part of why I like it :) 

 I started by stamping the "Wish" in Memento Tuxedo black ink. Normally I don't stamp my sentiment in this ink because it's not super dark black but I knew I was going to be coloring with copics and I needed to to set up the lines for my frame. I used my MISTI so after I was done I could go back and stamp in a true black archival ink. I used a ruler and a black marker to draw in my frame. Mask the edges with whatever you like. Normally I use printer paper but this time I used post it notes. To mask around the sentiment I stamped the "Wish" on a post it and then trimmed around just the top.  I also created 3 masks for my stars. I stamped the stars in the same copic friendly ink masking as I went. Remove all the masks and get to the coloring :) I chose bright rainbow colors for my stars then outlined the middle stars in white to make them stand out a bit more. 



I didn't love the black outlines on the stars right up against the sentiment,  it made it pretty hard to read. I outlined the "Wish" in with the white gel pen to help break it up. I love this trick. It doesn't take away from the design but helps it to read much better. I added a few clear sequins around he sentiment and called it done. 

Framing things in is fun. Try leaving one edge a different shape. You can use a sentiment like I did or just a decorative edge. The script of the sentiment offers a soft edge to break up all those geometric shapes. If your design seems a bit busy try outlining your sentiment in a neutral to set it apart.  

That's it for me, 
Thanks for visiting! 

Make A Wish 



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for talking through the process of this amazing card, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all kinds of awesome and I so appreciate the tips you shared in how you created this visually stunning card, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete