Thursday, September 18, 2014

I dig you: cogs

Hi there Smiley friends!

I'm here with a fun card today that I made using the brand new Whimsical Wheels stamp set, and some of the fantastically beautiful Wyancinka chipboard gear/cogs.

I was looking at all the beautiful Wycinanka products and trying to imagine what would work with the digger stamp-I love looking at product and trying to think of a different way to use them. How about you? Do you find it easy or hard to come up with alternative uses for stamps and embellishments?

I thought the cogs would make an interesting 'pile of rocks' for a card using the digger stamp, so I set about transforming the chipboard :)


First I took my new MFT MIXables Diagonal stripes stencil, and swiped some ink onto some white cardstock I'd cut to size. I chose really boy-friendly colours, using Memento Dewdrops as my ink.
What colours do you like to use for masculine-themed cards? I always have trouble choosing colours that don't end up too dark. However, I'm happy with this bright orange and the blue--do you have a favourite masculine colour combination? I'd love to hear from you! I need to add to my idea-bank :)

Once I was happy with the pattern I'd created, I took an orange and brown ink, and daubed colour onto the gears/cogs. I made sure to have a good spread of both colours.


Next I adhered the gears down to the cardbase and added my copic-coloured digger image from Whimsical Wheels.

I carefully mounted the sentiment so that it fit the curve of the cogs. I stamped the YOU out one letter at a time, so the curve was right.

Lastly I added some enamel dots and then mounted the entire thing to some orange cardstock from Bazzill!

I really love how this turned out! The Wycinanka chipboard elements are SO cool and I can't wait to get more :)

What other elements do you think might have made a good 'pile' for me to use? I thought maybe a heat embossed area of dark embossing powder maybe? Or perhaps some ribbon crushed up to create a small mound or pile? What do you think? Do the cogs work?

I'd love to hear your ideas--I'm sure one or all of you will inspire my next card!

See you again soon!

Linda



3 comments:

  1. This is cool! I like the shaded strips :) and the fab concept to use the cute stamp !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you used the diagonal stripe stencil (I have it in my stash, too), and having the digger climb that pile of gears is awesome! Kind of steam-punk and "Terminator" all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super fun card...LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete